The advancement of LTO Ultrium tapes, as seen in the new higher performance, higher capacity LTO-7 tapes, isn’t just merely an effort to maintain a competitive advantage over other storage media. Greater innovation in data storage capacities and performance is based on the present reality; whereby businesses are storing more and more data for much longer than ever before.
In order to understand how well to cater to such a trend, it’s necessary that you understand just why this trend is taking place in the first place. Through the knowledge of why businesses keep more data for longer, it’s possible to design storage systems that offer the best possible convenience and deliver the expected results:
1. A simple reason why businesses currently have more data to store than in the past is because there are so much more sources from which businesses can derive this data. Currently, there are so many digital resources that businesses have to contend with and varied online platforms that can generate tons of information. It’s vital that organizations develop solid strategies to handle the huge flow of data so that they don’t get overwhelmed with it.
2. The reason why modern organizations would find it hard to let go of their precious data is because they have discovered significant value on this data. Obviously, something that helps your business grow should certainly be maintained, instead of getting rid of it. It’s actually true that such data helps businesses serve their clients even better, by improving customer satisfaction based on an in-depth analysis of customer feedback.
3. At first glance, loads of data may appear as an extra burden to bear for the business, but it can actually help improve business efficiencies. As organizations gather more and more data concerning a great variety of business aspects, they can more clearly identify problem points and fix them. Although this would mean greater amounts of stored data, it would also further enhance the progress of business.
4. Businesses are not only gathering data concerning their enterprises, but they are also picking up more and more information on their competitors and the general market dynamics. Through the large array of information gathered, such organizations are able to detect and adapt to changes in the market, as well as apply strategies to remain competitive.
5. Regulatory mandates may require certain forms of data to be maintained for longer periods. This would be necessary in such instances as litigation cases, whereby emails, digital voicemail messages, documents and other related files should be delivered. This adds to the data that is retained as part of the normal regulatory requirements for business operations.
It’s important to have a good strategy to handle the different forms of data accumulated in business operations. When maintaining long-term data archives, for instance, you should have very good storage media that can maintain the integrity of your data for long periods, while having minimal maintenance costs. It’s also necessary to have a clear policy that all concerned personnel clearly understand concerning management of data. This will ensure that no important data is lost, while avoiding large collections of unnecessary information.